Thursday, September 1, 2005

The Embarassment List

Was thinking some time ago (after watching Nagesh Kukunoor's Iqbal) that I am real unfortunate to have missed out on the same guy's Hyderabad Blues (both parts), Rockford and Teen Deewarein.

Then it occurred to me that there are a zillion movies that would be classified as classics by any yardstick and should feature on EVERYONE's must-watch list that I haven't seen.

I'm not a CD/DVD rental kinda guy at all. So it is unlikely that I'll ever catch up on these masterpieces :(

It actually embarasses me to reveal this list. There have been instances when I've admitted amongst people that I've not seen one of these flicks and I have received some pretty unmentionable reactions (the worst ones have been of people offering me sympathy saying that I don't even know what I've missed).

So *deep breath* here goes...


1. Anand (nice start, wouldn't you say - but I just haven't seen this beauty)

2. The Matrix Trilogy (nopes, not even Part One)

3. The LOTR Trilogy (not read the book either)

4. Star Wars (yep, you read it right..I'm turning red as I type)

5. Deewar/Zanjeer (AB's angry-young-man ones)

6. Casablanca

7. Schindler's List

8. The Lion King (am a sucker for animation, but have missed the Big Daddy of 'em all)

9. Lagaan (don'tcompare it with the rest of this list, given its staure around the time it was released, the Oscar nomination and all...one would think it should've been difficult to miss)

10. A Beautiful Mind


There. I've spilled all. Doesn't make me feel any less...well..guilty, if you may.

So next time you feel silly or self-conscious about not having seen a particular movie, think of the guy who hasn't seen Anand, fer cryin' out loud!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes.
thats....sorta.....unbeleievable....i cant....almost...understand it....
what a list................!

richtofen said...

i can understand.
havent watched the following myself.

maqbool
any kurosawa film
ghatak's meghe dhaka tara
zanjeer
sholay - yes - sholay

there's more - but the point is, you are not alone